A founding partner at HKR, Rob’s practice concentrates on complex insurance coverage and the litigation of commercial/extracontractual matters. Rob handles coverage disputes and litigation across the nation.
Rob’s career perspective and experience are terrifically unique. Before HKR, Rob worked as a senior vice president for Chubb North America Claims. While at Chubb, he was responsible for commercial property and marine claims handled with the assistance of independent adjusters across retail property, excess and surplus, multinational, inland marine, programs and specialty lines of business. Prior to his 7 plus years at Chubb, Rob was a Partner in a national insurance law practice, where he led a Catastrophic Property Loss Team, representing insurers in a range of complex, multi-million-dollar loss property coverage disputes.
Rob spends time in the firm’s New Jersey and Pennsylvania offices. Known to gravitate more toward the shore -- especially in the Summer months -- Rob is an avid sport fisherman. Look for Mojo, leaving early on Saturday mornings, out of her dock on Point Pleasant, New Jersey.
- New Jersey
- 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Middle District of Pennsylvania
- District of New Jersey
- Villanova University School of Law
- Messiah College, BA, Political Science
- “The Approaching Storm: Business Income Losses, Catastrophe Claims, and the Post-COVID Economy”, Co-Authors, Aubrey Shea of J.S. Held, and Matthew B. Malamud, Esquire and Daniel J. Grossman, Esquire, July, 2020
- Greener Pastures: Environmentally Friendly Building Codes Present Thorny Insurance Issues, Best's Review, Vol. 110, #8, December, 2009
- Extra-Contractual Litigation Against Insurers, Law Journal Press/ALM, Released September, 2009 PA's Bad Faith Law Still in Flux - Recent Decisions Bring Both Confusion and Clarity, Pennsylvania Law Weekly, Sept. 24, 2007
- Proving Fraud with a Paperless File: New Document Retention Affects the SIU, SIU Today, Summer 2006
- Using Fire "Cause and Origin" Experts at Trial, For the Defense, Vol. 43, #3, 2001
- How to Diagnose and Avoid the Bad Faith "Setup", Mealey's Litigation Report: Insurance Fraud, Vol. 7, #5, 2000
- Panelist, “How to Handle a COVID-19 Property Claim,” Timoney Knox Webinar (March 2020)
- "Really Dealing with Adjusters", 2011 Pennsylvania Insurance Fraud Conference, Co-Presenter, April 25, 2011
- "Misrepresentation & Policy Rescission-Void on Arrival", PLRB/LIRB 2011 Claims Conference, Co-Presenter, April 4 & 5, 2011
- "Top 10 Ways to Win a Circumstantial Arson Case" and "'ESI' for the CSI: Utilizing Electronic Forensics", The Circumstantial Arson Case: Investigative Techniques and Strategies, Co-Presenter, February 9, 2011
- "Appraising the Appraisal Process", Loss Executives Association's 80th Annual Meeting and Educational Conference, Co-Presenter, February 3, 2011
- "The Recession, Misrepresentations and Rescission", DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, Co-Presenter, April 15, 2010
- "Bad Faith Update", DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, April 16, 2010
- "Insurance Crimes 2009", Nelson Levine de Luca & Horst, April 9, 2009
- "Compliance and Claims Management", PLRB/LIRB Claims Conference, March 22, 2009 - March 25, 2009
- "Current Issues in E-Discovery", Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP) 21st Annual Conference, October 6, 2008
- "Compliance and Claims Management" , PLRB/LIRB Claims Conference, Co-Presenter, April 13, 2008 - April 17, 2008
- "The How-To of Electronic Discovery and Preservation of Evidence", NJSIA's 17th Annual Anti-Insurance Fraud Training Seminar, Co-Presenter, October 14, 2007 - October 16, 2007
- "Issues in Electronic Discovery and Preservation of Evidence", Insurance Fraud Management Conference, March 19, 2006 - March 22, 2006
- "Bad Faith, Good Faith", DelChester Claims Association and Southeastern Pennsylvania Claims Association Combined Chapter Meetings, October 12, 2005
- "Fire Investigations", IASIU 20th Annual Seminar & Expo on Insurance Fraud, September 6, 2005
- "Defending Your Deposition", Delaware Valley IASIU Seminar, May 19, 2005
- "Bad Faith Damages", Pennsylvania Bar Institute Annual Auto Law Update, 2003
- "Avoiding the Bad Faith Setup", American Conference Institute's Bad Faith and Punitive Damages Conference, April 27, 2003 - April 28, 2003
- Coordinating counsel for multiple carriers, overseeing defense of COVID-19 business income litigation on a national basis.
- Represented an insurer in multi-jurisdictional coverage litigation arising out of commercial general liability policies and alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, involving concurrent class action and declaratory judgment suits.
- Represented a regional insurance carrier in connection with the largest commercial lines exposure in the company's history, with losses in excess of $75 million.
- Represented a specialty insurer in the aftermath of a catastrophic hailstorm in Central Ohio, with alleged damages in excess of $4 million.
- Represented four insurance carriers in a Philadelphia class action litigation involving attack on payment of "actual cash value" under property insurance claims.
- Retained as lead coverage counsel in national food spoilage claim with exposure of $40 million.
- Acted as legal secondee for a London market syndicate, providing advice and guidance in respect of global/international and domestic U.S. business, including facultative and treaty reinsurance programs.
- Drafted manuscript policy forms utilized by surplus lines insurer following Hurricane Katrina.
- Spearheaded TPA compliance program for London syndicate.