A partner at HKR, Matt’s practice focuses on complex, first-party insurance coverage disputes and extracontractual suits. In addition to a busy, multi-jurisdictional litigation practice, Matt regularly counsels his insurer clients regarding policy interpretations, wordings, and related regulatory advice.
Seeking to serve his clients as well as the industry, Matt has both written and spoken on a variety of topics, including property coverages, bad faith, legal ethics, and condo coverage.
Matt’s legal career commenced with his service as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Robert O. Baldi in the Court of Common Pleas of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He also served as a certified legal intern for The Children’s Advocacy Clinic of The Dickinson School of Law of The Pennsylvania State University.
Matt is a resident of Bucks County Pennsylvania along with his wife and 2 children. Their dog, a shiba inu, is a vocal participant in most video conferences.
- Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland
- 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eastern, Middle, Western Districts of PA
- District Court of New Jersey
- District Court of Maryland
- Penn State University, Dickinson School of Law
- Penn State University, BS, Psychology
- Crunch Logistics Inc. v. Donegal Insurance Group, 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 109610 (E.D. Pa. June 11, 2021) (granting motion for judgment on the pleadings in favor of carrier on a declaratory judgment action seeking coverage in a COVID-19 business interruption coverage dispute)
- Biela v. Westfield Insurance Company, 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9016 (E.D. Pa. Jan. 19, 2021) (granting summary judgment in favor of carrier on breach of contract and statutory bad faith claim)
- Schmidt v. State Auto Property & Casualty Insurance Company, No. 24-C-16-003334 (Cir. Ct. Md. July 31, 2017)(granting summary judgment in favor of carrier on breach of contract claim)
- Delong v. Cincinnati Ins. Co., No. 2014-3032 (Pa. Com. Pl. December 3, 2015) (granting summary judgment in favor of carrier on statutory bad faith claim under 42 Pa.C.S.A. § 8371)
- “The Approaching Storm: Business Income Losses, Catastrophe Claims, and the Post-COVID Economy”, Co-Authors, Aubrey Shea of J.S. Held, and Robert M. Runyon III, Esquire, and Daniel J. Grossman, Esquire, July, 2020
- "Examining Subrogation and Malpractice," Claims Magazine, November, 2018
- “Walking a Mile in the Policyholder’s Shoes: Common Subrogation Issues in the First-Party Property Insurance Context,” The Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Counterpoint, October 2017
- “The Role of Rule: Parol Evidence and Coverage Cases,” The Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Counterpoint, February 2017
- “Your Deposition Is Scheduled… Now What?” International Association of Special Investigation Units, SIU Today, September 2016
- “Navigating Pennsylvania's Amended Motor Vehicle Physical Damage Appraiser Act,” Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, PAMIC Pulse, May 2016
- Bad Faith Compendium, FC&S Legal, August 18, 2014
- Panelist, “Appraisal — Evolution & Evaluation of the New Normal,” PLRB Hot Topics Webinar Series (April 2020).
- Panelist, “How to Handle a COVID-19 Property Claim,” Webinar (March 2020)
- Presenter, “Bad Faith Update 2017: Effects of the Rancosky Ruling,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Speaker, "How to Diagnose and Avoid the Bad Faith Setup," PAIIA 2017 Fall Claims Seminar
- Speaker, "Ethics, Morality and Decision Making for the Claims Professional and Counsel," NJSIA 2017 Annual Seminar
- Presenter, "2016 Bad Faith Update," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2016
- Speaker, "Practical Considerations for Dealing with Public Adjusters," October 24, 2013
Honors & Awards
- Woolsack Honor Society - Penn State University, Dickinson School of Law
- National Society for Collegiate Scholars - Penn State University
- Phi Beta Kappa - Penn State University
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Bucks County Bar Association
- Bucks County Inn of Court